Friday, July 6, 2012

The Journey of a REFUGEE

      ECHOES IN THE WIND!
          OOOO"The Journey of a Refugee"OOOO
















The play "Echoes in the Wind", which I wrote and directed and was performed by my students was my way of saying good bye to the Vietnamese refugees in the camp. I knew from the beginning that the theme of the play was against repatriation but I presented it anyway in support of the remaining Vietnamese refugees who all opposed to repatriation. I wanted people to hear the voices of the refugees before I finally leave the camp.
One week before the actual presentation, I showed the script to the UNHCR field office head and even invited him to witness the performance. He (name withheld) did not come to the performance saying that he had prior commitment but I thought it was due to the fact that the play "Echoes in the Wind" was in contradiction to repatriation as the only solution to the Vietnamese refugee problem.

















I wrote this play in 1985. Its original title was "The Journey of a Refugee". The play was about the challenges faced by a poor 14-year old Vietnamese youth, whose former military father was sent to re-education camp and he was forced out of Vietnam by his reluctant mother and sent to sail on high seas in search of freedom and a better life. In 1992, I expanded the script and changed its title to "Echoes in the Wind". I was mesmerized by the impeccable acting expertise of my students. Their riveting performances brought tears in the eyes of many Vietnamese in the audience, especially the elders. It was a colossal success and became the talk-of the-camp for months.














At the end of the presentation the school presented me with an elegant plaque of appreciation for faithful, dedicated, pioneering services to the Vietnamese refugees. It was totally unexpected on my part and I became tongue-tied and very emotional. I just said "Thank you," looked at the audience, bowed and gently left the stage. I thought that if I had done a speech I would have cried in front of over one thousand people. It was very important for me not to cry in front of them because they knew me as a funny person who always brought laughter to everyone of them. I wanted them to remember me that way not the teary-eyed Teacher Andy.

The following night, the teachers gave me a Bon Voyage Party. At the party, which was held at Asia World Hotel Palawan, the teachers presented me with a beautiful suitcase, a Seiko watch, and we all had a delectable dinner.

There I managed to make a long speech and expressed my profound gratitude to the teachers for their camaraderie, generosity, and professional and emotional support through the years. There were no tears that night, only jokes and laughter.
The day before I left P.F.A.C., my students spent time with me at my apartment. I gave them my blankets, pillows, some clothes, cassette tapes, grammar books, dictionaries, VHS tapes, kitchen utensils, pictures and so on. We had a party. We sang, danced, and joked with one another. There were tears... and my student "Hue" asked if she could have my poem book that contained all the poems I wrote during my stint with the UNHCR. I gave it to her because I couldn't withstand to see her crying.


The following day, I found myself at the seaport hugging and kissing as I said good bye to the people that I loved. Lots of tears flowed in the eyes of everyone except me. Instead I cracked some jokes and gave them a burst of laughter.















As the ship started to undock, I looked out and saw over two hundred students and nine teachers waving good bye until they gradually went blurry and gone. In my mind I saw the faces of my sweet students and colleagues intermittently flashing. Sister Tomasa did not come to say good bye.  She opted to stay in the camp to entertain the visitors from Switzerland instead of seeing me for the last time. I went to my cabin and dropped to the bed. I took a nap for almost two hours. When I got up and looked out the window, I saw nothing but sea around me.  I realized that I had gotten so far away from the place I learned to love, PFAC, my second home.

Only then that my tears started to fall.

                                          OOOOOO

9 comments:

  1. so, what actually happened to these camp later? i mean like it probabaly does not exist anymore right? i hope you don't mind me asking. just got really curious...i was just a little girl way back those years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The camp (P.F.A.C.) folded in late 1993. The UNHCR determined that the Vietnamese left in the camp were no longer refugees but merely economic immigrants. Of course the Vietnamese refused to go back to their homeland. They strongly opposed mandatory repatriation. Many of them fled the camp and scattered all over the Philippines. The Catholic Bishop of Manila intervened. With the financial donation from the Vietnamese around the world, CADP and the Catholic Church purchased a piece of land 14 kilometers from the former PFAC and moved the remaining Vietnamese there. That place is called Viet Ville. And you're right, PFAC is no longer in existence. But Viet Ville is still there. The place (Viet Ville) is now a popular tourist attraction. Their restaurant serves aunthentic and palatable Vietnamese Cuisine. Only one Vietnamese lives there though. He's married to a Filipino and they have 5 children. All others have left for Canada and the USA in 2005 and 2007. I was at their orientation meeting in California in December 2005. I was interviewed by SBTN Television about my perpectives on the Vietnamese people and my experience in the camp.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you can only sing Teacher, you can dance too. Hahahaha. I think I saw chi Van and teacher Boy too. Wow, you guys are really looking good.

    Viet

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! such a great experience i'd say. noble job! i got relatives in Palawan, hope to see them very soon. i'd love to see this viet ville. thanks for the info.

    more power!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few thoughts on happiness...

    To become happy, don't look for happiness. Find unhappiness and learn to accept it. The more we can unload the unhappy things, the happier we are.

    This is a nice page, Andy. It is a little bit too thick and heavy for me :) I can see how your emotion is unfold. Thanks for setting this page up.

    Cheers,

    -Binh

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a Vietnamese refugee who lived in PFAC for 18 months, I would like to thank all Philippine people who gave me an asylum while I was searching for hope and freedom. To Andrew, thank you for refreshing my mind about PFAC.
    Van Nguyen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I visited from Seattle, WA in May 2001 to see the boat people refugees who were members of our Vietnam Veterans Post. I visited Manila and Palawan Camp. Nicholas Rock

      Delete
  7. to "Anonymous": i'm sure the Filipinos were pleased to provide you(all) that asylum. i have one regret though...that i was just a kid those years. i wish i could have taken part in these camp. such things i like doing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I still remember the time when we, myself, Lia, Van, Tin, and others were practicing this act. We had so much fun and laughter, especially, the act that Van, the wife, and Lia, the husband, met at the re-education camp. Instead of showing joy when they met, pain and sorrow when they separated by the guards, they were both shy and blushing. Mr. Taylor, how could you expect a bunch of 14, 15 years old kids to do so? But we did it, didn't we?

    Viet Ngo

    ReplyDelete