Friday, July 6, 2012

Be Proud to Say You're Vietnamese!


Song:  BE PROUD TO SAY YOU'RE VIETNAMESE! 

BE PROUD TO SAY YOU'RE VIETNAMESE!

You said my son you have to go
You have to leave I beg of you
Go now bring nothing else
Except my love for you...

But when you go don't turn your back
Or else you'll see my teary eyes
Yes, I will cry because you'll leave
But promise me you'll love me forever

My love for you will never die
I know we have to sacrifice
You have to leave in search of peace
The peace that you'll never find
Here in a lifetime...

I'm hurt to see you say good bye
But promise me you will not cry
Just keep me once and hold me tight
You will be brave and strong
When you're alone

Here in our land freedom is gone
There's hope for you outside Vietnam
It hurts but surely you will find
The peace and freedom in another land


























 
Son, your father died long time ago
Fighting for peace and freedom
He was a soldier a mighty one
He was a man of dignity
Who loved our country like you and me


Son, oh you promise me
You'll not forget the things I've taught
Be proud to say...
YOU'RE VIETNAMESE!




Theme from the play "ECHOES IN THE WIND"
Lyrics composed by Andrew Taylor (PFAC Palawan - 1986)
Sing it to the tune of Matt Monroe's "For Mama"



4 comments:

  1. Teacher Andy, reading this poem reminds me of the play we did, I think in 1989, about the escape of a family from VietNam. Til today, everytime I think of that, I crack myself up when I remember how you made fun of Lia and Van.
    Viet Ngo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eventhough I'm not a Vietnamese, but surely I'm impressed with your fight for freedom. Good luck guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Andrew,

    Were you at the original camp in 1980 at all? My family were there for around nine months and left for the UK in May 1981. I am working in Manila for a few months and intend on going to 'Viet Ville' soon, however I didn't know that it isn't the original camp. Do you happen to know where the original camp was? Or whether there is anything left of it?

    Many thanks!

    Nicolle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicolle, I started working in PFAC during your time. I was there and the camp was then called VRC- Vietnamese Refugees Center and I taught English for the VRC School for Children, which was later renamed HTC-PFAC School for Children in 1985 when the camp changed its name to Philippine First Asylum Center.

    Vietville is not that camp. That's the reason why former refugees cannot relate to Vietville. It looks more like a Philippine small town than a refugee camp. If you and your family want to visit the old camp you will still see the Grotto inside and the main gate. You will also see a little bit of the UNHCR building and the Catholic church.

    The former VRC or PFAC is on Rizal Avenue all the way to the end where the sea is. Just tell the tricycle driver that you want to go to the old VRC not Vietville. Everybody knows it. I recommend that you stay in Casa Linda Inn for your accommodation (very clean, quiet, and inexpensive. The owner is a friend of mine and they are very nice people. While in Palawan please visit the world famous Underground River. Casa Linda will arrange it for you. If you want a tour guide please let me know. My email address is impeccable37@yahoo.com.

    Thanks for writing, Nicolle.

    Andrew Taylor

    ReplyDelete