Friday, August 3, 2018

HTC-PFAC DRUM and LYRE CORPS


PFAC Palawan Interviews
Teacher Sammy Taylor.
PFAC Palawan:  So... Sammy, I stumbled upon one of the many  pictures of the HTC-PFAC Drum and Lyre Corps while visiting the PFAC Palawan Facebook page, and for some reason I felt kind-a sentimental seeing you, Jan Top Christensen and Sister Bernandette.

Sammy:  That group was my baby. I love every minute of my interactions and bonding with the refugee youths as we practiced every afternoon after classes.

PFAC Palawan:  I feel you, but please tell me.  What inspired you to train those students?
Sammy:  The idea was actually conceptualized by our dearest HTC-PFAC Executive Director, Sister Bernadette. She called me one day to her office to tell me that she was thinking of buying those musical instruments and starting a drum and lyre group and that she wanted me to train the students. I immediately fell in love with the idea and assured Sister Bernadette that I would do it in a heartbeat.

PFAC Palawan:  You said yes, just like that? And knowing that it would entail an enormous amount of work? 

Sammy:  Well, substantial amount of work was definitely a requirement, but I didn't mind that at all because when you love what you do, it's not work but a hobby.  I am a professional singer and I love every form of entertainment, especially music.  But the point is, the refugees, especially the youths, needed to do something productive to fill their precious times in the camp while awaiting resettlement.  Teaching them how to play the xylophone and the drum was a great way to help them take away their boredom and distance themselves from smoking, alcohol, and stuff like that

PFAC Palawan:  Wow!  Impressive and truly amazing.  How often did you practice?

Sammy:  We rehearsed five days a week every afternoon after their English classes.  Everyday brought energy to everybody.  To me... to them... to the students and the school, and to the whole camp in general.                

PFAC Palawan:  I can imagine.  Was participation in the band extended to everyone or just to HTC-PFAC students?

Sammy:  Everyone, but I'd say, ninety-nine percent of the participants were HTC-PFAC students. 

PFAC Palawan:  Awesome.  Was there any age limit ... requirement?  I mean... 
Sammy:  Quite honestly, I can no longer recall, but the participants were between the ages of eight and fifteen

PFAC Palawan:  Where did the band play?  I mean on what occasions?

Sammy:  They played in parades, school graduations, PFAC sporting events, Bon Voyage parties, Christmas parties, Tet and Mid-Autumn Festival celebrations. 
.
PFAC Palawan:  Fascinating!  Do you have any message to your former HTC-PFAC Drum and Lyre Corps members who might see this interview on line?

Sammy:  Yes!  My service to the Vietnamese refugees, United Nations, and PFAC Palawan was one of the best and probably the most significant highlights of my life not just as a teacher but as a person in general. I appeal to you my dear Vietnamese refugees to not ever forget your foundation which played a big part of who you are today.  Your membership and participation in the band was not accidental.  God brought us all together for a purpose... to entertain, to educate, and to inspire others. And we all succeeded, didn't we?  Thank you for supporting our beautiful music together.  If in the future we have the opportunity to reconnect or reunite, I will definitely be here with open arms and warm heart.  You can find me on Facebook under Sam Taylor.  God bless you all.

PFAC Palawan:  Thank you, Mr. Taylor, I mean, Sammy, for this splendid interview.  I feel that I have grown emotionally and intellectually from this.

Sammy:  So have I, PFAC Palawan.  Let's keep the fire of PFAC Palawan burning.
Minh Chuong, Alexander Cao, Linh, Thuan, and Minh Dang
OOO

1 comment:

  1. Mr Sammy Taylor was one of the name we heard every day when living in the PFAC camp. A devoting teacher.
    Vietnamese refugee kids in the camp benefited a lot schooled with teachers like you. To name a few others, Mr Boyd Ong, Mr Andrew Taylor and more .. You guys worked tirelessly, not only taught the new language (English), built knowledge, but also helped established the very first foundation & culture in the young students toward their new future before they departed to a next country.
    Great effort brought excellent results.
    Thanks to you all.

    ReplyDelete