Sunday, June 9, 2019

PFAC Palawan Volunteers Reminisce Part 2


Former PFAC Palawan International Volunteers Reminisce their Time in the Refugee Camp.
_____________________________
I love my job in PFAC Palawan. I worked with the wonderful Vietnamese friends I made and the fabulous IOM Staff that still feel like family.

Remember the great spring rolls at the VRC Coffee Shop? What about the swimming at the sandbar on Sundays? And what about the PFAC Swimming Team when we got caught on the boat to Manila saying good bye to dear friends and had to jump overboard and swim back to the dock? I miss everyone from PFAC.
HELEN MURPHY
Former IOM Medical Coordinator, 
PFAC Palawan
______________________ 

Well, substantial amount of work was definitely a requirement, but I didn't mind at all because when you love what you do, it's not work but a hobby.  I am a professional singer and I love every form of music.  But the point is, the refugees, especially the youths, needed to do something to fill their precious times in the camp while awaiting resettlement.  Teaching them how to play the xylophone and the drum was a great way to help them take away their boredom and distance themselves from smoking, alcohol, and stuff like that.


Yes!  My service to the Vietnamese refugees, United Nations, and PFAC Palawan was one of the best and probably the most significant highlights of my life not just as a teacher but as a person in general. I appeal to you Vietnamese refugees to not ever forget your foundation which played a big part of who you are today.  Your membership in the band was not accidental.  God brought us all together for a purpose... to entertain, to educate, and to inspire others. And we all succeeded, didn't we?  Thank you for supporting our beautiful music together.  If in the future we have the opportunity to reconnect, I will definitely be here with open arms and warm heart.  You can find me on Facebook under Sam Taylor.  God bless you all.


SAMMY TAYLOR 
Former HTC-PFAC English Teacher 
and Drum and Lyre Vietnamese Youth Trainer 







000

No comments:

Post a Comment