Friday, September 27, 2013

GEMMA LEDESMA, A True PFAC Palawan Gem!


TEACHER GEMMA LEDESMA,
A Passionate Teacher and a
True PFAC Palawan Gem!

Interviewed by Andrew Taylor on Sept. 26, 2013 for PFAC Palawan Blog.
 1.  What kind of person are you?

Let me start by telling you that I am a real friend who will stand up for you and by you in good times and in bad times.  I am a woman of impeccable courage, a true survivor, a highly dedicated person in her craft, who works with passion.  I’m also a loving mother, who is always considerate of others, a true professional, who is amazingly hardworking.  I’m very independent and I love taking up the challenge.  And more importantly, I know there’s a Supreme Being up there and I’m grateful to Him for my family, friends, and for all the things that I have and every little things and big things that have made who I am today.

2.  What inspired you to be a teacher?

I grew up in a family that values service.  For us, a part of being truly happy is by serving other people, especially the less fortunate.  I’m inspired to teach because this profession has always allowed me to serve and at the same time show the real me.   
3.  How long did you work in PFAC?

I worked in PFAC for a little over a couple of years.  Those times were fantastic.  I woke up every morning feeling so inspired to go to work.  I got up with a lot of energy… full of enthusiasm.  I miss those times.  My colleagues and especially my students (the Vietnamese children) filled my life with pure joy and constant laughter during those splendid times.

4.  What are some of your best memories of the refugee camp?

Oh my gosh! That was my first ever teaching experience, right? Immediately after I graduated from college, I landed a teaching job in PFAC.  I was so young then.  I was 20 years old and really fortunate to be in the congregation of dedicated teachers and volunteers and professionals from all walks of life and all parts of the world.  You could say that I was kind-a innocent, ha-ha-ha!  I can and will never forget the love, the caring and the generosity of my Vietnamese students and interpreters. 
 
5.  What are you grateful for in life?

I'm so blessed to be a part of these beautiful people in their journey in life.  I'm so thankful to HTC-PFAC for playing an enormous part in molding the person that I am today.  I’m eternally grateful to my Vietnamese students and beloved interpreters, who opened my eyes and taught me to see the true essence of life. They’ve been through a lot of struggles in their journey to freedom, but have always remained positive and have lived their lives in an honorable way and have always been grateful to the country that gave them a second chance.  Last but not least, I am so grateful to you Andy for inspiring me to be a  good language teacher.  The Vietnamese refugees’ stories will always be my inspiration in my journey to where I am teaching now and to where I am going to be in the future. However, and I say it from the bottom of my heart, if I could bring back those times, I’d rather serve the refugees... the less fortunate.
Gemma Ledesma (Picture taken in PFAC Palawan 1989) 
***

5 comments:

  1. The blog has garnered over 500 views as a result of your mesmerizing interview. You are so inspiring, Gemma. Many people, especially the Vietnamese, love you and you definitely deserve it. Wow! Awe-inspiring indeed. Thanks for sharing your love and perspectives on life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't get over reading this interview. Awesome and inspiring indeed. Congratulations, Gemma. You are a light that shines on Earth and we truly love you. Once again, thank you for your service to the Vietnamese people. God bless you and your family and God bless PFAC Palawan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! Thanks for the post. When and where is the reunion? I remember the day she said farewell to me when I left for Manila and then to America. Teacher Gemma gave me a note with her address so I could send her letters. Unfortunately, I lost it during the scary earthquake. I've been thinking about her for the last decades. Her name has always been in my kids bedtime stories. I can't wait to see her again. I can't wait to see her again. OMG! This is great. Thanks, PFAC Palawan.

    Loan Nguyen

    ReplyDelete
  4. March 28, 2015

    Hello Loan!

    Thank you very much for remembering me after all those years. I can't believe that you truly remember me and I'm really touched knowing that I've been a part of your kids' lives as they grow up through the stories that you've been telling them about me. I appreciate it so much. I hope one day you and I get reunited.

    Lots of love,
    Teacher Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the best interviews I've seen. Cheers to all.

    ReplyDelete