Saturday, September 28, 2013

AN OPEN LETTER FROM LUAN HUYNH

An Open Letter from LUAN HUYNH


March 4, 2012

Dear Andrew,

I have read your blog at http://pfacasylum.blogspot.com/ and found your volunteer work in the refugee camp truly amazing and inspirational.

Reading the blog make me feel so nostalgic of that “once upon a time”….

I am a former Vietnamese refugee who stayed at the Palawan refugee camp as an unaccompanied minor between 1988 and 1990. Even though I was not your student I still feel a connection with people like you who volunteered your time and money to help refugees like us back then.

Until this day when I have resettled in America and have integrated rather well into a new country I find what you and others gave up back then to come to the Philippines to help us even more meaningful and selfless. I have often asked myself if I can now be like those volunteers and put my life “on hold” for a stretch of time and go to some corners of the world and help some less fortunate people. I might not be able to do so honestly (I need to keep working to pay the bills. The best so far I can do is to participate in a few charity programs so it is no comparison to your work.

Please accept my sincere admiration and appreciation.

Sincerely,

Luan Huynh

 


Luan, I admire your sincerity and modesty. Thank you so much for this beautiful letter. I will treasure this forever. With your permission, I would like to post this letter on my blog. Please forward your picture to me if you want it included with the posting. thank you and God bless you.

Please keep in touch.

Andrew Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment