Thursday, February 26, 2009

An Honest and Touching Letter from Dang Que Can

DANG QUE CAN IS LIKE A SON TO ME.
Hoa, Can, Andy, and Thinh (Underground River, Puerto Princesa City, Palawan 1992)

HTC-PFAC School
May 29, 1992

Dear Teacher Andy,


"The time has come to say good bye. So soon... but all good things must come to an end they say". That was a part of a conversation that you taught us and I'd like to start this letter with that quote.

A day without sunshine will be the day that he will leave us, leaving everything that he has shared with us in this lovely camp. I can't imagine how I will be that time. Shall I shed a tear for him? Maybe I won't, but from the bottom of my heart a drop of blood will leak out due to a thorn that pierced my heart because of his departure.
)
The time seems as if is not passing anymore. All the memories of being with him appear in my sight, reminds me of one excellent teacher. The most excellent one I've had in my whole life. He's not just a teacher but also a godfather. He has trained me how to be a good person... how to act politely... how to behave. He has built me up into a very pleasant chap. He has given me a lot of precious knowledge that I can use as a weapon to support me and guide me in my future endeavors. Very soon he will leave the camp. I won't have anymore chance like this. Knowing that fact, I know I have to cherish every moment that I have while he's still here.

Everything about him, mentally and physically is what I long to be. He has everything that a person should have. He is the person that I feel reverent. This is not an exaggeration; it's the truth. I would describe him a lot better if my English were better. How can I forget his face, his advice, his knowledge that he shared. They will always be with me till the end of my life. If I had the choice, I would keep him in the camp... to continue serving the Vietnamese refugees, but then I realized that, that would be selfish of me.

I close this letter with nothing more to say about him. "Who is this gentleman," you might ask. "How can he have that power to inspire and influence people?" "Is he a human being?" "Yeah! Absolutely". His name is Andrew... an English teacher... a very familiar name with the Vietnamese refugees. He has sacrificed his life so that we, Vietnamese, could regain our lost hope; so that we Vietnamese refugees could shine again. Everyone loves his pleasing personality.

I pray to God to be with him and help him. I love you forever, my dear teacher.

Can Dang


British Volunteer Teacher Ruth Myers, Vo Anh Tung, Dang Que Can and Do Thanh Van

Dear Can,

Your letter was so deep and touching. Thank you for validating what I have done for the Vietnamese people.

When I served the Vietnamese refugees in the camp, it was not a sacrifice for me. On the contrary, I considered it as a blessing to be able to make a difference in the lives of the Vietnamese refugees, young and old, who risked their lives in high seas. My service in the camp has helped me grow in wisdom and nobility of character; it has opened my mind to what is possible in everyone's life when one believes in something. In addition, your countrymen have taught me love, patience, perseverance, generosity and respect. I will do the same service to your people again in a heartbeat.

And thank you again, for validating what I have done for the Vietnamese refugees. May God bless you always... all of you!
 

Teacher Andy
February 26, 2009

 
 HTC-PFAC Palawan Education Staff:  Roland, Marissa, Benny, Bessie, Annie, and Andy

OOO

No comments:

Post a Comment