Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Teacher Sammy Taylor, A Slice of My Experience

Bancao Bancao Elementary School

After my teaching in the old PFAC Refugee Camp in 1995, the Vietnamese Elementary school children were accepted in Bancao Bancao Elementary School (Mauricio Reynoso Memorial Elementary School) in the following year, until the year 1997.
 
The Department of Education, with the support of Mayor Ed Hagedorn, requested me to teach the Vietnamese children. There, I taught Grade 4, 5, and 6 in one gigantic classroom. I was very happy to teach the Vietnamese children in Bancao Bancao.
 

In Bancao Bancao, I met a very sweet, loving and thoughtful Vietnamese student named Tang T. Nguyen. Unfortunately, I can no longer remember the names of other students or have any idea where they are now. ( or where they have resettled.)
I'm planning to go to that school to look for my old records so I can recall their names again.

In 1997, The Vietnamese in PFAC were relocated in Viet Ville in Santa Lourdes. The school children were then accepted in many different schools in Puerto Princesa City.
 

I was also accepted as a permanent teacher in public school as a result of the good performance I had in teaching the Vietnamese.
These are some of the pictures I'd like to share. People in PFAC knew me as Teacher Sammy Taylor

OOO 

7 comments:

  1. Teacher Sammy, I know you won't remember me anymore but I really want to say "Thank you" to you for helping us build a good foundation in the camp. The HTC-PFAC teachers are angels that God has sent to us Vietnamese children. God bless you, Teacher Sammy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These children were very fortunate that when they felt as if they were abandoned you were with them to comfort them and shelter them with your love.

    Andrew Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures bring back happy & sad memories. I recognize them all even their parents' names... but not their names in anyway. Thank you for all your effort in helping and supporting the Vietnamese kids and adults as well.

    Phuoc Nguyen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teacher Sammy stayed with them for soooo many years when they were at the camp and even out of the camp when they were transferred to Bancao Bancao Elementary School...

    Marissa P. Ladica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Sam!You were one of the pioneers of Pfac HTC school for children,including ,Andy,Ate Mona, Benny, Virgie, and some others. The memories that we all shared were unforgettable...and incomparable. All of these Vietnamese children who became a part of our teaching profession made us tough, strong ,and more effective teachers. Never forgetting, I still miss you all, though we are far...and though many of you have forgotten us but still in my heart, I still think of you and love you.

    Teresita Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww!! We will always remember you, Teacher Sam ❤️ Thank you for teaching us!!

    Tang Farrell

    ReplyDelete
  7. Teacher Sammy!!! Thanks for everything! We still talk about you and Bancao Bancao all the time here. I hope there will be a reunion in the future!!!

    Thien Luu

    ReplyDelete