Friday, January 30, 2009

The Vietnamese Refugees (1980-1992)

MY BROTHERS AND SISTERS...

That's how I felt about the Vietnamese Refugees 
in P.F.A.C. Palawan, Philippines.


"I'm indeed grateful to God that at my very young age He allowed me to 
experience something that was truly remarkable and that I believe 
very few human beings will ever experience in their lifetime".

Andrew Taylor

These were the faces of the people I served.  They did not look like me, but I called them brothers and sisters, or probably friends.  I even called the others mothers and fathers, or sons and daughters. There's no word to explain but when I was working for the Vietnamese Refugees Centre in Palawan, I felt as though the Vietnamese people in the camp were my own blood... my own family.
.
To be exact, I started working for the United Nations High Commission for Refugees (UNHCR) on June 24, 1980. It was not easy for me to forget that day because it was Saint John the Baptist Day. I remembered traveling on a tricycle from the center of Puerto Princesa City (Palawan, Philippines) with two other volunteer English teachers (Benny Ong and Zenny Beran) on our way to the refugee center or camp as they used to call it. When the tricycle pulled in the so-called V.R.C., I was astonished to see over nine thousand (9,000) political refugees, who were obviously very much aware of our coming, eagerly waiting for us.
.
Yes, indeed. They knew we were coming. Apparently, the camp chairman (Dr. Ky) had announced to his people that there were three teachers who had offered their services, which was to teach English as a Second Language on the volunteer capacity. We were then introduced before a congregation of about six thousand Vietnamese people, exceedingly anxious to see us and hear what we had to say.
.
At that momentous gathering, I gave my biggest audience (6,000+ people) a rendition of my favorite song "All I have to do is dream." The song caught the attention of Van Le, who also loved the song. He immediately became my first Vietnamese best friend. (Van Le now lives in Austin, Texas with his wife Tien and their kids, and has a master's degree in computer engineering). That was the biggest round of applause I've ever been bestowed upon- truly inspiring and unforgettable.
.

On the same day, Dr. Ky took us to the Catholic Church (in the camp) and assisted us as we started registering the students (ages 4 to 16) in our classes. As expected, we were bombarded by hundreds of enthusiastic Vietnamese children waiting in line and very eager to get into our classes. Dr. Ky was so proud of the enthusiasm shown by his people; he gave us all the support that we needed. The following day (June 25) the two other volunteer teachers and I started teaching English using the Catholic Church as our classroom. we started with 72 students in one class and the following day, the attendance rose to 107.
.
 














After a week, our class had over 300 students and we could no longer fit them into one classroom, which was the Catholic church. Dr. Ky suggested that we divide the students into three groups and hold classes under the trees. We were all open to anything so we obliged. We split the class into three and each of us had our own separate groups of students.
.
The students had to sit on rocks as they learned listening, speaking, reading and writing. We had to use portable blackboards, ones that we then put against the tree trunk in front of the students. The students had to move around with their rocks to follow the shade as the sun moved. I found that situation unique and I'm indeed grateful to God that at my very young age He allowed me to experience something that was truly remarkable and that I believe very few human beings will ever experience in their lifetime.
.


Six months later, the two other volunteers left the camp for personal reasons. I was left alone with Sister Tomasa (our School Manager) but I stayed because I found so much joy in serving the Vietnamese refugees, who gave me love and respect and filled my life with an enormous feeling of satisfaction. Yes, the job I was doing gave me a sense of fulfillment... something that was definitely worth more than any material thing in this world. My job made me feel complete as a human being. And how could I leave those people who needed me?
.
Eight months later, two other volunteers arrived. They were Marian Lynch and Muriel Knox both from the United Kingdom. These two B.V.S.O. volunteers brought new energy in the camp. Then before we knew it, the UNHCR had already started constructing a school building for us. The new school building had twelve very spacious classrooms to the delight of our students. The school's population quickly increased to an astounding 1,200 students.

.


















Dr. Heracleo Lagrada, who was then the president of the former Palawan Teachers College (now called Palawan State University) joined our school as a consultant and initiated the development of our school curriculum with the assistance of Marian Lynch, Muriel Knox, and myself. Then we named our school Vietnamese Refugees School for Children. As the school grew further our school manager (Sister Tomasa Rivera, O.P.) had to hire two exceptionally competent Filipino teachers- Rubi Diao and Ramona San Luis. The following year, two other volunteer teachers arrived, Adrian Seviour from England and Ann Cusack from Australia.  A few months later, my brother Sammy Taylor arrived in the camp and brought renewed energy to the students with his enthusiastic teaching style and his guitar and songs. 
  000

14 comments:

  1. wow! a great experience. i'd love doing such things actually. you're lucky to be that person. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for this blog. I was one of those students at the VRC. I still remember Ms Knox, the school, and the camp.
    I have been looking for years to find these wonderful volunteers to thank them personally.
    On the behalf of 6000 + Vietnamese Refugees at Palawan, I thank you.

    Lan Dalat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Sir,

    This month in 1981, my family and I arrived to the island of Palawan. I
    came across your site while searching for Palawan. Thank you very much
    for sharing your perspective of the camp. I now have a clearer picture.

    Thanks.

    Here is my site with my story.

    http://web.me.com/landalat/family/Freedom.html


    Respectfully,

    LAN T. DALAT
    MAJ, Signal Corps
    Battalion Executive Officer
    36th Signal Battalion
    Daegu, Republic of Korea

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lan,
    Do you have an email address I can contact you at? We were on the same boat and shared the same house in Palawan, Philippines. 2012bluefire@gmail.com. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think Lan checks this blog often. If you want his email address, please tell me who you are and I will email you his email address (of course with his permission. My email address is impeccable37@yahoo.com and my name is Andy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. DEAR everyone !
    if you are the refugee between 1991 sept to 1992 DEC.lived at camp 10 .closed to 1001 E .I 'm looking for my ex-boyfriend tumg .he come from mild Vietnam.he like wear blue and short.he like play sport.football.he always went to camp 11 play with the chinese vietnmese together.he is a single refugee by himself.lived with a family.who has a son part aways at camp and a daughter has a baby.he went to thirst country by July or aug 1992.I hope .I can find him.p/s by the 1992 he has a vietnam neighborer ms hoa who is a vietnamese mix with white with husband and one son lived at camp 10 too.my e-mail is christine68@rocketmail.com.I hope he will contact me.god bless everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I was nine when I was at the camp. I was there in 1980 then to US in January 1981. I was by myself and I remembered so much about the camp. I am working on a book now about my journey to US. If anyone was there at the time please email me. My stay there was short with good and very bad memories.
    I just remembered a blond lady who teaches me English. Is the camp still there. I would like to visit it. I lived in Malaysia with my family for my husband work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking to reconnect my parents with people from Palawan Refugee camp. They arrived February 1980 and left in August. Their boat was blue and had 117 people. During their time there was about 600 peeps in the camp.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was in the camp during your time (1980). In order for your parents to reconnect with the people they knew from the past you will need to send us their old pictures and any other pertinent information about them. I hope to hear from you again soon. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello all,
    My brother name was Tran Thu Phuoc, he was used to stay in Palawan Refugee in 1980 - Unfortunately, he got serious disease and passed away in Manila hospital. I've not find out his grave so far, any of you know or has information about him, pls help me !
    Thank you,
    Phương Tran

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello all,
    I had my elder brother named Tran Thu Phuoc who left VN in 1980 - unfortunately, my brother got serious sick and was transferred to Manila hospital - He passed way there, I've not hear about his information enough, it's 35 years and I've not find out his grave. Please contact me if anyone of you know my brother's grave or his information.
    Many thanks,
    Phuong Tran

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was in the Palawan camp from April 1983 to June 1984. I remember Adrian Seviour (a very tall man) and Ann Cusack. Other English teachers from the US are: Ms Eleanor, the two Sisters from The Church of Latter-Day.
    After leaving Palawan I've settled in Toronto Canada since. Will be happy to hear from old friends in the camp.
    Vu Ngoc Toan
    tvu0912@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool to stumble on this blog. Took me back in time. I was there from Aug, '81 to Aug, '83. Do remember Muriel, Ann and Adrian. They were kind people. Would love to drop them a thank you note. I was young and don't remember other names. But anyone else out there from 128 Uluganbay, give me a shout. trilehawk@gmail.com Thank you for this blog. Cheers! Tri Le

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very cool to stumble on this blog. Took me back in time. I was there from Aug, '81 to Aug, '83. Do remember Muriel, Ann and Adrian. They were kind people. Would love to drop them a thank you note. I was young and don't remember other names. But anyone else out there from 128 Uluganbay, give me a shout. trilehawk@gmail.com Thank you for this blog. Cheers! Tri Le

    ReplyDelete